AOL Language Guide Policy on Vulgarity
" . . . This (guideline) file (for AOL staff) contains examples of vulgar,
conditionally vulgar, and acceptable phrases and subjects which are not
allowed in materials posted on AOL websites. Synonyms of these are
usually unacceptable. Further, gender should not be taken into account; if
"men on men" is not allowed, neither is "women on men". Asterisks and
other symbols cannot be used to "mask" a violation if any letters of the
vulgarity are still present. "F--- you" is vulgar, but "my *** hurts" is
okay . . ." (see key to entry codings)
Key to Entry Codings:
- Unconditionally vulgar.
- Vulgar in room names or screen names.
- ROOMS (SEXUAL):
- Vulgar in room names or screen names if possibly sexual.
These words are only allowed in screen names or room names if other
phrases clearly make them not sexual. For instance, a member may not
create a room called "Oral," but "Oral Roberts" is permitted. " Slaves
here" is not allowed, but "Free the slaves" is. "Jimmy69" would be fine,
but "Ilike69" would have to be deleted.
- Okay (OK)
- Acceptable. These words do not, in and of themselves, constitute
vulgarity or sexual connotations.
- * who want *. If referring to people, this is not allowed in room
names. For instance, "Men who want women" is vulgar, while " Men who want
a car" is not.
- Bitch. Vulgar if an insultable person, place, or thing is being
called a bitch. "Life's a bitch" is fine, "My mom is a bitch" is vulgar.
- Come/cum. Vulgar if used in a possibly sexual manner. "Cum over
here" is fine, "I come when I think if you" isn't.
- GIF/Graphic Exchange. While not vulgar, this is not allowed in room
names due to the probability of illegal GIFs being exchanged.
- Suck/Ass/Fart/Piss. Vulgar if used in a possibly or probably
sexual/vulgar manner ("suck me", "kiss my ass", "I just farted"), or if
an insultable person, place, or thing is said to be this. "The Redskins
suck" is fine, "Life sucks" is fine, "Jimmy sucks" is not fine. "Nirvana
Kicks ass" is OK, "Jenny is an ass" is not. "Rich is an old fart" is OK,
"You should hear my brother Fart" is not. "I'm pissed off" is OK, "Piss
on you" is not.
Exception: A member may say that AOL, or any manifestation such as the
Hosts/Forum Staff, sucks.
- Anti-AOL. We do not want to appear to censor members who speak out
against us. Anti-AOL comments, or comments protesting manifestations of
AOL such as Hosts, should not warrant a warning. However, comments which
insult or harass individual Guides or AOL employees should warrent a
- Racial Issues. Racial slurs are not allowed. Rooms promoting racism
(KKK Unite) are not allowed, but discussion of racial issues (KKK
- Hot, wet. These are borderline words. Use your judgement, and
consider it vulgar if they're talking about "hot" as in sex, or "wet" as
in feminine moisture. Hot men/women/cars/videos/etc. are fine, as "hot"
could be referring to "good looking" or some other non-sexual thing.
- Nudity. Discussion of nudity is fine; nude room names are a judgement
- Sex. This is a judgement call. "Sexy" is fine, as an adjective. The
word should never appear in room names or screen names as a noun
In other situations, use the context to determine whether the member was
committing a TOS violation. For instance, "Hey babe, anyone here wanna
have sex" would be a violation. "I didn't let my child see the movie
because of the sex in it" would not be a violation.
- Dykes/Queers. This is OK if a member is refering to themselves. If
it is used "against" someone then it is warnable. However, this word
US-1 Reference Index
Last Updated 10 May 2010