Language requirements and submitting the language test scores
In addition to information on this page, please read all the instructions on the website How to Apply.
We advise all 2016 applicants taking an international language test to book one well in advance, as test dates fill up fast prior to the application round, and it may take several weeks for the test result to reach University Admissions Finland (UAF).
Applicants must submit evidence on a good command of English for academic purposes. There are two ways of indicating English language proficiency; previous studies and language tests.
1. Previous studies
The following previous studies are accepted as proof of a good command of English:
- A Bachelor's degree in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States, excluding online degrees, with the applicant having stayed in the respective country when studying for the Bachelor's degree.
- Secondary education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
- A right to study towards a degree at the University of Tampere AND the foreign language course required in all Bachelor’s degrees in Finnish universities completed in the English language. The grade needs to be 4 or higher.
- A right to study towards a degree in one of the international Master’s degree programmes offered by the University of Tampere.
Please note that your language test score must be valid throughout the application period. This means that if your language test expires even 1 day before the application deadline, you must take a new language test. Language test results are valid for two years.
2. Language tests
All applicants whose previous studies do not meet the requirements above are required to submit a language test result. No exceptions to this requirement will be made.
We accept the following tests as a proof of a good command of English:
- TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language; 90/Internet-based, 575/paper-based
NB: scores from "TOEFL ITP / institutional testing programme" are not accepted.
- IELTS (Academic), International English Language Testing System; 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5
- PTE (Academic), Pearson’s Test of Academic English; 62
Some of the programmes may have slightly different language proficiency requirements. Please read the programme description carefully.
Submitting test scores
It is always the applicants' responsibility to make testing arrangements for themselves and to make sure the test results are delivered on time. Be advised that it may take several weeks before the test results are published, and thus we recommend you to book your test well in advance.
All language test results must arrive at University Admissions Finland (UAF) by the given application deadline (address: University Admissions Finland, Unioninkatu 40 C, FI-00170 Helsinki, Finland).
If you are applying to more than one programme and you wish to verify your language skills to all of them with the same language test, University Admissions Finland needs to receive the test results only once.
- TOEFL test results sent directly from the test organiser
When filling out the TOEFL Registration Form, please give University Admissions Finland Institution Code 3138 in the Score Report Recipient field.
- IELTS Academic electronic test results only from the organiser, paper copies of the test score from the test organiser or the applicant
Electronic test scores are accepted only when they are made available to UAF online by the test organiser. Please indicate on the IELTS registration form that University Admissions Finland is able to verify the score electronically. The testing centre will then make your IELTS score available to UAF. It usually takes at least 13 days for the results to be published after you have taken the IELTS test.
- PTE Academic online test result sent from the PTE score report website.
Once you receive your test score, send it to UAF from your PTE account. Choose Finland as the 'Country', University Admissions Finland as the 'Institution', and click on 'Search'. Then select the university you wish to send your results to and confirm your order.
For more details on the verification of language skills and the submission of language test results, please see the UAF website.
For those applying for a Doctoral programme, the instructions for submitting test scores are different, please see the website of the University of Tampere Doctoral School.