Language requirements and instructions for submitting the language test scores
We advise all 2015 applicants taking an international language test to book for one well in advance, as test dates fill up fast in the autumn, and it may take several weeks for the test result to reach University Admissions Finland (UAF).
A good command of English for academic purposes is required for all degree programmes offered by the University of Tampere. The University of Tampere accepts the following ways of indicating English language proficiency.
Please note that your language test score must be valid throughout the application period. This means that if your language test expires even 1 day before the application deadline
, you must take a new language test. Language test results are valid for two years.
- TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language:
Minimum score: 90/Internet-based, 575/paper-based
- IELTS Academic, International English Language Testing System:
Minimum score: 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5
- PTE, Academic English Language Proficiency test by Pearson:
Minimum score: 62
Other acceptable ways of indicating English language proficiency:
- A Bachelor's degree in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States, excluding online degrees, with the applicant having stayed in the respective country when studying for the Bachelor's degree.
- Secondary education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
Some of the programmes may have slightly different language proficiency requirements. Please read the programme description carefully.
Submitting test scores
It is always the applicant’s responsibility to make testing arrangements for her/himself and to make sure the test results are delivered on time. Be advised that it may take several weeks before the test results are published, and thus we recommend you to book your test well in advance.
All language test results must arrive at University Admissions Finland (UAF) by the given application deadline (address: University Admissions Finland, Yliopistonkatu 2, FI-00170 Helsinki, Finland).
If you are applying to more than one programme and you wish to verify your language skills to all of them with the same language test, University Admissions Finland needs to receive the test results only once.
- TOEFL test results sent directly from the test organiser
When filling out the TOEFL Registration Form, please give University Admissions Finland Institution Code 3138.
- IELTS Academic electronic test results only from the organiser, paper copies of the test score from the test organiser or the applicant
Electronic test scores are accepted only when they are made available to UAF online by the test organiser. Please indicate on the IELTS registration form that University Admissions Finland is able to verify the score electronically. The testing centre will then make your IELTS score available to UAF. It usually takes at least 13 days for the results to be published after you have taken the IELTS test.
- PTE Academic online test result sent from the PTE score report website
For more details on the verification of language skills and the submission of language test results, please see the UAF website.
For those applying for a Doctoral programme, the instructions for submitting test scores are different, please see the website of the University of Tampere Doctoral School.