Doctoral Programme of the School of Medicine (MED)
Degree: Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Health Sciences
Duration: 4 years of full-time study
Extent: 240 ECTS
When to apply: continuous application procedure
Start date: N/A
Tuition fee: none
The Doctoral Programme of the School of Medicine is a multidiscliplinary doctoral programme. Core areas include basic medical research, translational research and clinical research on the scientific focus points of the School of Medicine.
The focus points of research are:
- human spare parts
- immunology and inflammation
- from a child to a healthy adult
- cardiovascular diseases
- cancer (especially prostate and breast cancer)
- structures of healthcare and treatment
The programme offers high quality doctoral level education and produces competitive research specialists and experts, who, after completing doctoral studies, are able to meet the demands of the working life.
Studies aiming for a doctoral degree will be completed in the School of Medicine's research centers and groups.
Admissions criteria and General eligibility for Doctoral Studies can be found from the Postgraduate Study Guide, pdf.
Admission to the programme
To apply, carefully fill in the forms and also remember to submit the necessary enclosures:
- Application for a scientific postgraduate degree, pdf
- Research plan: instructions, pdf
- Postgraduate study plan: instructions+model, pdf and a fillable form, pdf
- Statements from the Ethics Committee and/or the Laboratory Animal Committee or an explanation why such a statement is not necessary
- List of publications
- Copies of degree certificates or transcripts of previous academic work. The applicant must also present the original certificates at the School when submitting the application. (This enclosure is not necessary if the degree was completed at the University of Tampere.)
- An applicant who has not previously studied at the University of Tampere: a copy of an official identification document (e.g. passport, driver's licence)
More specific guidelines can be found from the Postgraduate Study Guide and from the instructions page on the application form. The application and its enclosures should be delivered personally to Head of Educational Afffairs Kristiina Tolvanen or Secretary of Study Affairs Nastasia Pråhl (Arvo E160). Please book an appointment via e-mail.
The Scientific Postgraduate Committee at the School of Medicine processes submitted applications approximately once a month in its meetings and makes a proposal. The Dean decides who will be admitted. Admitted applicants will be informed by post.
Accepting the study right
In order to accept the awarded study right and to maintain your right to enrol to the degree programme, you must fill in and deliver the confirmation form that you receive from the University of Tampere. If your confirmation has not arrived by the date indicated above, you will lose your study right.
Education Coordinator Marjatta Viilo
+358 50 365 7133