NB: The information on these Admissions pages was valid for the 2018 intake only
You must submit evidence on a good command of English for academic purposes. There are two ways of indicating English language proficiency: language tests and previous studies.
1. Language tests
We accept the following tests as proof of a good command of English:
- TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language; 90/Internet-based, 575/paper-based
- Note: scores from TOEFL ITP/institutional testing programme are not accepted.
- IELTS (Academic), International English Language Testing System; 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5
- PTE (Academic), Pearson’s Test of Academic English; 62.
- Please note that some of the programmes may have slightly different language proficiency requirements. Read the programme admission webpage carefully.
Please note that the language test score must be valid throughout the application period. This means that if the language test expires even one day before the application deadline, you must take a new language test. Language test results are valid for two years.
If you have submitted a language test result during the previous application period, University Admissions Finland (UAF) still has record of your test result. Please note that the test result may have expired between the application periods.
Submitting test scores
It is always the applicants' responsibility to make testing arrangements for themselves and to make sure the test results are delivered on time. Be advised that it may take several weeks before the test results are published, and thus we recommend you to book for a test date well in advance.
All language test results must arrive at University Admissions Finland (UAF) by the given application deadline (address: University Admissions Finland, Unioninkatu 40 C, FI-00170 Helsinki, Finland).
It is also acceptable to submit the language test result before the application period, if you have already taken the test. UAF will store the test result and attach it to your application once they process the first application enclosure from you.
If you are applying to more than one Master's degree programme using UAF and you wish to verify your language skills to all of them with the same language test, UAF needs to receive the test results only once.
- TOEFL test results sent directly from the test organiser
- When filling out the TOEFL Registration Form, please give University Admissions Finland Institution Code 3138 in the Score Report Recipient field. UAF does not use a specific department code, you can select 99: department not listed. Please note that after you have been informed of the test score, it takes approximately three weeks for the test result to reach UAF.
- IELTS Academic electronic test results only from the organiser, paper copies of the test score from the test organiser or the applicant
- Electronic test scores are accepted only when they are made available to UAF online by the test organiser. Please indicate on the IELTS registration form that University Admissions Finland is able to verify the score electronically. The testing centre will then make your IELTS score available to UAF. It usually takes at least 13 days for the results to be published after you have taken the IELTS test.
- Paper copies of the IELTS score slips do not need to be verified, UAF will always verify the test result with the test organiser.
- PTE Academic online test result sent from the PTE score report website.
- Once you receive your test score, send it to UAF from your PTE account. PTE Academic test results are typically available within 5 working days from the test date. Choose Finland as the 'Country', University Admissions Finland as the 'Institution', and click on 'Search'. Then select the university you wish to send your results to and confirm your order. After this, UAF should have access to your test result within 48 hours.
2. Previous studies
If you fulfil one of the criteria below, you are exempt from submitting a language test score. Please note that you may fit into several of the categories that exempt from the language test requirement. Please choose in the online application form the one you feel is most appropriate.
- A Bachelor's or two-year Master's degree completed in English in a university or university of applied sciences in Finland or another EU/EEA country, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United States, excluding online degrees
- A Bachelor’s degree completed in a Finnish university or university of applied sciences in Finnish or Swedish. The compulsory foreign language course included in the degree must be completed in the English language.
- Secondary education in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
- Some of the programmes may have slightly different language proficiency requirements. Please read the programme admission webpage carefully.
Please note that in addition to assessing your previous studies in terms of eligibility, we assess them also to determine the level of your English skills based on the grades. If you feel your grades do not give the right impression of your English skills, we strongly recommend you to take a language test to indicate your proficiency.
For information on the documents you need to submit to indicate your language skills with previous studies, please see the application documents section.