MDP in Cultural studies
Programme profile and research at UTA
Degree: Master of Arts
Duration: 2 years
Extent: 120 ECTS
When to apply: Next intake will be in December 2017 -January 2018 for 2018 admission
Start date: August 2018 (to be confirmed)
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students: 10 000 € / year
The degree offers a comprehensive overview of current and emergent cultural realities and theories as well as practical tools for analyzing present-day cultural phenomena. The focus of the programme is in contemporary socio-cultural realities. It explores a world in which different forms of mobilities, crossings of customary borders (e.g. between nation states, economy, politics and culture or forms of expression) and new hybrids produce new cultural articulations and practices.
The programme is built on the foundation of the strong research and teaching tradition in cultural studies at the University of Tampere.
Why MDP in Cultural Studies?
The MDP in Cultural Studies is a multidisciplinary degree which offers you the possibility to learn from by specialists from fields of cultural studies, media studies, music studies and theatre studies. You will have the chance to focus your studies to one of these fields, but also gain a broader understanding of different areas of culture.
The degree offers an alternative approach to contemporary cultural practices with an emphasis on mobility, transnationalism, performativity and cultural action.
After completing the Master's Degree Programme in Cultural Studies, you will be able to
- understand the nature of current cultural work
- identify and use key theoretical perspectives to conceptualize culture and cultural processes
- make justified and ethical choices in your professional activities
- give fluent presentations and arguments on particular research area, collect material and analyse it independently and critically
- operate in a group and argue and report on the basis of systematic research
- have established a competence to continue studies for a Ph.D.
The programme supports the students in building and strengthening the required competencies in the changing environment of cultural production as well as the academia. Cultural Studies programme provides expertise for careers in which an understanding of contemporary culture is required. These include media industries, journalism, cultural management and education. Because of the flexibility of its understanding of culture, it also makes movement across such fields possible.
Doctoral study opportunities
The programme gives qualifications to apply for Doctoral studies in various fields in cultural and media studies including music studies and theater studies, for example in UTA’s Doctoral programme of Communication, Media and Theatre.
Applying for the programme
There is no intake into the Cultural studies programme in 2017.
Eligibility criteria to the Master's degree programmes consist of two parts: the University of Tampere general eligibility criteria, and programme specific eligibility criteria, which specify and/or add information to the general criteria. Applicants must meet both in order to be considered eligible.
To be eligible to apply for a Master’s programme at UTA, an applicant must have
- a completed university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of the desired programme or in a closely related subject
- fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies. For more information, please see Language requirements.
Applicants must submit evidence on a good command of English for academic purposes.
Coordinator of International Education
Anna.Vahamaki (at) uta.fi