The aim of the Master’s Degree in Cultural Studies is to develop understanding of culture as a dimension of all human practices that produces and defines social realities. The degree program introduces students to contemporary key issues in cultural studies and develops analytical and critical skills in analyzing current cultural phenomena.
The multidisciplinary degree is taught by specialists from fields of cultural studies, media studies, music studies and theatre studies. The degree offers an alternative approach to contemporary cultural practices with an emphasis on mobility, transnationalism, performativity and cultural action.
The focus of the degree is in contemporary socio-cultural realities. It explores a world in which different forms of mobilities, crossings of customary borders (e.g. between nation states, economy, politics and culture or forms of expression) and new hybrids produce new cultural articulations and practices.
The degree offers a comprehensive overview of current and emergent cultural realities and theories as well as practical tools for analyzing present-day cultural phenomena. Already during the very first courses of the program, the students are encouraged to start building up their MA thesis project in order to benefit fully of the all-round contents of the degree.
After completing the Master's Degree Programme in Cultural Studies, the student
- is able to understand the nature of current cultural work
- is able to identify and use key theoretical perspectives to conceptualize culture and cultural processes
- is able to make justified and ethical choices in her/his professional activities
- can give fluent presentations and arguments on particular research area, collect material and analyse it independently and critically
- can operate in a group and can argue and report on the basis of systematic research
- have established a competence to continue studies for a Ph.D.
Cultural studies is a contemporary discipline that approaches social-cultural practices from different angles and strengthens students’ theoretical and methodological skills as experts in interpretation of different kinds of cultural phenomena. These skills are relevant when working in media or in related industries, in the fields of cultural policy and management or in education. The degree also enables students to pursue a career in research, whether inside or outside academia. The degree is designed as international and welcomes students both from outside or inside of the EU.