The Boards of the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology have appointed the Members of the Board of the Tampere University Foundation established in April. The new foundation will merge UTA and TUT into a new foundation university as well as operate as the majority owner of TAMK.
The mission of the Tampere University Foundation is to improve the well-being and competitiveness of Finnish society as well as benefit the environment and humanity as a whole, comprehensively and in the long term, through high-level international research and education.
In concordance with the constitution of Tampere University Foundation, the first Board of the new Foundation has been appointed by the Boards of the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology following the proposal of the naming committee appointed by the Boards.
Members of the Board of the Tampere University Foundation and their terms of office:
• Marja Makarow, PhD, Professor, Director, Biocenter Finland, term until 31 December 2021
• J.T. Bergqvist, DTech, Group Chairman and CEO, Huurre Group, term until 31 December 2021
• Linda Soikkeli, PhD, Senior Specialist, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, term until 31 December 2021
• Liisa Husu, PhD, Professor, Örebro University, term until 31 December 2020
• Pekka Puustinen, PhD, CCO, Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company, term until 31 December 2020
• Lauri Lyly, Technician, Mayor, City of Tampere, term until 31 December 2019
• Risto Nieminen, DTech, Academic, Professor Emeritus, Aalto University, term until 31 December 2019
As stated in the Government Bill presented to the Parliament on 8 June, the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology are to merge together to form a new foundation university on 1 January 2019. In addition, the Tampere University Foundation is to operate as a university of applied sciences as the majority shareholder of Tampere University of Applied Sciences.
The founding members of the Tampere University Foundation are: the Republic of Finland, Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland - TEK, the C.V. Åkerlund Foundation, the Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK, the City of Tampere, the Council of Tampere Region, the Finnish Commerce Federation, the Finnish Red Cross, the Jane and Aatos Erkkos Foundation, Kauppias K.P. Ruuskasen säätiö, the Research Foundation of the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare, Social Science Professionals, Tampere Adult Education Foundation, Tampere Chamber of Commerce, Tampereen Kauppaseura, Tampereen Suomalainen Klubi, Tampereen Teknillinen Seura, Technology Industries of Finland, the Technology Industries of Finland Centennial Foundation, the Training Foundation of Tampere University Hospital, and the Väinö Tanner Foundation.
Teppo Rantanen, Chair of the naming committee, tel. +358 400 235 442, email@example.com (best available on Tuesday 20 June 2017)