All members of the University community must act justly and honestly and respect other people’s work and its results. The Universities Act stipulates that universities arrange their education and instruction in conformity with ethical principles and good scientific practices.
Good study practices are applied in university studies and they are taught to students throughout their education. They are not something the students are expected to know before their studies begin.
Ethical and sound study and scientific practices are learned as knowledge, skills and attitudes, which the students not only need in the studies but in their future jobs and lives more generally. Learning the right conduct requires that the students familiarise themselves with the relevant decrees and guidelines, train those practices and participate in debates on the subject.
Good study practices mean the following:
- acting as a member of the university community
- taking responsibility for one’s own studies
- having respect for other people’s work and
- observing the agreed ethical principles and practices that concern science
Instructing the students on sound study practices prevents misconduct.
Students are responsible for adhering to good study practices and they must ensure that they act in accordance with these practices proactively. In its own behaviour, the University staff must set an example to the students on ethical conduct.
The University of Tampere uses the Turnitin plagiarism detection software to check the originality of Master’s and Licentiate’s theses and doctoral dissertations. The Turnitin software can also be used in other coursework.
The University of Tampere promotes and supports good study practices and it has issued the following guidelines and instructions that concern the whole University community:
- Rector’s decision on the responsible conduct of research and procedures for handling allegations of misconduct, pdf (available in the intranet)
- Academic counselling at the University of Tampere, pdf (available in the intranet)
- University of Tampere – a Good Academic Community
- Learning outcomes for good scientific practices in the curricula for Bachelor's, Master's and doctoral degrees, pdf (available in the intranet)