This site is no longer being updated. Please visit at the Tampere University's new Student's Guide.

At the Exchange/Internship Location

Finally there! Here are a few things you should bear in mind after your arrival at the exchange or internship location.


Beginning your studies at the host university

Remember to enrol at the host university. You should also participate in any possible orientation events and language courses as they provide information on events and activities organised for international students. In addition to this, other exchange students in the same position may be helpful with many things and you will no longer need to rely on yourself alone in figuring out how to resolve a particular issue.

Remember to check whether or not you need to register for the orientation course beforehand. Indicate your possible willingness to get a local tutor and/or a friendship family beforehand or upon your arrival in the country of destination.

Locate the host university’s Erasmus coordinator or international contact person for additional information and also maintain contact with Tampere University. In problematic situations, discuss your situation first with the exchange coordinator of the host university. If necessary, also contact the mobility coordinator at Tampere University to inform them of your situation and enable him/her to assist you in the best possible manner.

In the case of Erasmus exchange, make the necessary changes to the Learning Agreement (Learning Agreement part II)  and upload a version signed by all relevant parties to Mobility online. When your exchange period is about to end, ask the host university to sign the Letter of Confirmation form no earlier than one week before the end of your exchange period.

Residence permit and local registration

In Erasmus exchanges and work placements, you will not apply for a residence permit until you arrive in the country of destination. You will need a residence permit if your studies or internship will last longer than three months. As a general rule, EU citizens travelling to EU and EEC countries can register their temporary residence within three months of arriving in the country. In this context, you can also use a certificate of your Erasmus status and grant, which you can obtain from the Erasmus Office.

As regards Turkey, you must check the residence permit arrangements from the country’s embassy well before leaving for your exchange or internship period. Within the Nordic region, on the other hand, a citizen of a Nordic country need only be registered in one Nordic country if the stay lasts less than one year.

If necessary, you must also register with local authorities (police department or equivalent authority). You may need an enrolment certificate when handling matters with authorities and at the university. In the context of an Erasmus internship, your Erasmus coordinator will provide you with an internship certificate you can use to register as a resident of the host city and to register your stay in the country with the immigration authorities or the police.

Other things to remember

Find out where to get health care services: Where to find the nearest doctor? Where to get first aid when necessary? What to do with your travel insurance and European Health Insurance Card? Find answers to these questions immediately. They will help you in the event of an accident. The emergency telephone number in all EU countries is 112. You should also register with the local sickness fund, if necessary.

You can open a bank account in the country of destination if a local bank account is required to pay rent, for example. You can also use a Finnish bank account abroad through online banking services.

Find out whether or not your student card entitles you to discounts on season tickets for public transport, for example. Benefits available with the student card are often not advertised anywhere, and the best way to find out about them is to ask around among your fellow students.

Find out about the services of your host university and local libraries, and about any possible opportunities for sports and exercise.