How to Apply
The student exchange application process has two phases. First, the students are selected and nominated by UTA. Second, the students apply to the host universities. The final decision on the approval is always made by the host university.
Please read the information on the application process carefully.
Preliminary information until the beginning of the application period:
Exchange applications are submitted through the Student’s Desktop on NettiOpsu.
You can apply for up to five destinations. One destination means one university or network (BCI, ISEP, north2north, Nordplus and Nordlys). Write a separate motivation letter and preliminary study plan for each host university. If you are sending your application to a network, write a motivation letter separately for each university you are applying to.
The motivation letter and study plan must be written in the language in which the studies will be organised in the country of destination. Among other things, list the following in your motivation letter.
- How the exchange period will benefit your studies at the University of Tampere.
- How the exchange will benefit your career plans.
- Why you are applying to the destination in question at this specific phase of your studies.
- Mention any factors that you think support your admission, including prior work experience, any possible volunteer work and positions of trust.
If you are studying in a separate two-year Master’s programme, also following attachments must be submitted:
- A recommendation letter from the supervisor of your Master's thesis.
- Copies of the degree certificates or transcripts of records from your previous studies.
Applicants are notified of selections by e-mail with further instructions.
There are two primary application rounds for student exchange and Erasmus work placement grants each academic year. In addition, there are two application rounds for remaining exchange places.
Application rounds for 2018–2019 exchanges
- Application round I: 10–31 October 2017
- Application round II: 9–30 January 2018
- Additional application round I: 13–27 March 2018
- Additional application round II (for spring 2019): 11–20 September 2018
The application rounds for Erasmus Work Placement grants for the 2017–2018 academic year are usually the same as the exchange application rounds. For more information, please see Erasmus Work Placement.
Info events in the 2017–2018 academic year (in Finnish)
- December: Exchange info for first-year students 1 December 10 am–12 noon (Main building, lecture hall A1)
Erasmus exchange info on 9 January 2 pm–4 pm (Main building, lecture hall A1)
Exchange info (other exchange destinations) 10 January 12 noon–4:30 pm (Linna building lecture hall K103)
- March: Centre for International Education stand 13 March 11 am–3 pm; Main building, Alakuppila café lobby
- September: Centre for International Education’s exchange stand on 5 September
Exchange info 10 October 2 pm–5 pm (main building, lecture room C6)
Erasmus Work Placement info on 9 October 10 am–12 noon (Linna K103)
Application system MobilityOnline