To page body
university of tampere: studies: study information:
Studies - University of TampereUniversity of TampereStudies - University of Tampere
HomeResearchAdmissionsStudiesNewsCooperation and ServicesAbout Us


There are several practical issues related to the graduation process that should be taken into account in order for the process to run smoothly. This page contains information and advice for students about how to complete their Bachelor's or Master's Degrees.

Obtaining a Degree Certificate

A degree certificate must be applied for by filling in a Degree Certificate application form in NettiOpsu in the section "Graduation". The application will be processed by the faculty in question. When ready, the certificate will either be issued from the Registrar's Office upon collection or sent by post according to what the student has agreed with the faculty. If an internationalisation module is included in the degree it will also be composed on the application form. In addition, if a student exchange or training period abroad is a part of the degree, you can ask for a mobility certificate to be attached to your Degree Certificate.

Before applying for a degree certificate the student should ensure that all completed study modules have been registered by the relevant faculties. Those graduating will be issued a Diploma Supplement for international use free of charge along with their degree certificates. There is no specified time for issuing degree certificates. In other words, they can be issued at any time during the academic year. However, if you wish to graduate during a specific term (spring or autumn), remember to check the deadlines for handing in the graduation application form on the website of the faculty in question.

Applying for a Degree Certificate and Enrolment in the University

To be able to apply for a degree certificate, you should still be enrolled in the University. Having enrolled as absent is sufficient. If, however, you have enrolled as absent, no more completed course units or study modules can be entered into your register (including the grade for your thesis). You should therefore remain enrolled as present until all the course units and study modules you have completed have been registered. If the academic semester ends before you can apply for a degree certificate, it is sufficient that you enrol as absent for the following semester. In this case you do not need to pay the Student Union membership fee for the following semester.

Diploma Supplement (DS)

Diploma Supplement LabelThe Diploma Supplement (DS) issued by the University of Tampere follows the model developed by the European Comission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES. It is an attachment to the degree certificate intended for international use. The English language supplement provides a description of the nature, level, content and status of the qualification in the national system, and gives information on the professional status the qualification confers. Diploma Supplement is a part of the Europass portfolio.

Diploma Supplement is being issued in a widely spoken European language, given automatically and free of charge to every student upon graduation.

Example of Diploma Supplement and Transcript of Records, pdfpdf.gif

Graduation Ceremony

A joint graduation ceremony for graduates of the University of Tampere is organised twice a year in June and in December. For the dates, please see the Academic Calendar. The ceremony is conducted in Finnish. As signing in for the ceremony differs from faculty to faculty, please contact your own faculty for further information.

Registration and Degree Certificates

Your last day of being registered as a student at the University is the day your degree certificate has been dated with. The following day you are no longer a student at the University of Tampere. After graduation, you can still request the following documents from the Registrar's Office:

  • Transcripts of Records
  • Diploma Supplement
  • Certified copies of your Degree Certificate.

Student Union Membership and Student Card

Although you are no longer registered at the University after you have been issued a degree certificate, you still remain a member of the Student Union. You will retain you Tamy membership as long as you are entitled to according to the membership fee you have paid. For example, if you graduate in September and have paid the membership fee for the whole academic year, you can retain your membership until the end of the academic year, i.e. until the end of the following summer. You can therefore make use of all the student benefits normally for the duration of your membership.

However, if you have paid the Student Union membership fee for the whole academic year but graduate during the autumn semester, you can request the spring semester fee to be refunded. You can request a refund until the end of your graduation year (calendar year) and in the first days of January. Tamy decides whether a refund will be given or not. If you do get a refund, you can no longer get any of the student benefits during the spring semester. In this case the sticker for the whole academic year will be removed from your student card and replaced with a sticker for the autumn semester only. Forms for applying for a refund of the Student Union membership fee are available from the Registrar's Office.

Your student card is yours to keep even after you graduate. You can nevertheless only enjoy the student benefits until the sticker on the card runs out.

IT Services

Please see the page Services for graduating students in the university intranet!


Tampere University Library services are available to you even after graduation. You can still use your library card/student card as your library card. Please remember to inform the Library if there are changes in your contact information. The remote access of e-resources is available as long as your basic user account is valid. Even after that you can use e-resources on the Library premises.

Further information on the library services is available on the University Library website.

Student Financial Aid

In case you are entitled to the Finnish student financial aid, it is important to check the effects graduation has on your aid well before graduating. Please consult KELA for further information.

Doctoral Studies

If you are interested in postgraduate (Doctoral) studies, please see the University of Tampere Doctoral School website.

Moving on to Working Life

Information for graduates is produced by UTA Career Services. Please see the Career Services website for useful links and further information.

The UNIPOLI Tampere pages also include information on working in Finland and job seeking.

Alumni of the University of Tampere

If you wish to retain contact with the University after you graduate, you can become a member of the Alumni of the University of Tampere. As a member of the Alumni, you will receive information on current issues and activities at the University. The Alumni also organise lecture series, various events and trips. Becoming a member of the Alumni may be a good way to meet academics already in the working life. Furthermore, as a member you also get to keep your University e-mail account for a year longer than usual after you graduate.

University of Tampere
Kalevantie 4, FI-33014 University of Tampere, Finland
tel. +358 (0)3 355 111
Maintained by:
Last update: 11.7.2017 7.42 Muokkaa

University of Tampere
+358 3 355 111

FINEEC Audited HR Excellence in Research

Cooperation and Services
About Us

Research & Study

Career Services
Finnish Social Science Data Archive
Centre for International Education
IT services
Language Centre
Language Services
Registrar's Office
Sports Activities
» more

Teaching schedules
Curricula guides
Student's Desktop

Andor search
Renew your loans
UTA intranet
Office 365 webmail
Uta webmail
Electronic exam service
Examination results