PhD, Adjunct Professor in Theoretical Philosophy
Phone: 040 190 4125
Room: PINNI B4134
Office hours: please, ask for an appointment by e-mail
Areas of Specialization:
- David Hume's (1711-76) philosophy (metaphysics, epistemology and scepticism in particular)
- trope nominalism
- the problem of universals
- metaphysics of relations
- history of scepticism
Areas of Competence:
- early modern metaphysics (free will in particular)
- British Empiricism
- social construction
- philosophy of team sports
- “Taxonomy of Relations” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen and Dr Antti Keskinen, first author). Relations. Ontology and Philosophy of Religion (invited, forthcoming by Mimesis International in 2018).
- "The Ontological Form of Tropes – Refuting Douglas Ehring’s Main Argument against Standard Trope Nominalism” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen, first author). Philosophia, 45 (2) (2017), pp. 647-658
- "Kind Instantiation and Kind Change - A Problem for Four-Category Ontology” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen, second author). Studia neoaristotelica 14 (2) (2017), pp. 139-165.
- "Bradley’s Reductio of Relations and Formal Ontological Relations” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen, forst author). DE NATURA RERUM - Scripta in honorem professoris Olli Koistinen sexagesimum. Reports from the Department of Philosophy Vol. 38., Turku: University of Turku (2016), pp. 246-261.
- “Why Realists Need Tropes?” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen and Dr Antti Keskinen, second author). Metaphysica 17, Issue 1 (2016), pp. 69–85.
- “Concrete Universals and Spatial Relation” (together with Dr Markku Keinänen and Dr Antti Keskinen). European Journal of Analytic Philosophy (forthcoming).
- "The Problem of Trope Individuation" (together with Dr Markku Keinänen). Erkenntnis 79 (1) (2014):65-79.
- "Persistence of Simple Substances" (together with Dr Markku Keinänen). Metaphysica Vol. 11, Issue 2 (2010), pp. 119-135.
- "Hume as a Trope Nominalist". The Canadian Journal of Philosophy 42 (sup1) (2012), pp. 55-66.
- "Hume on Spatial Properties". Nominalism about Properties (Routledge, 2015), pp. 79-94.
- "A Third Type Distinction in the Treatise". Hume Studies Vol. 38, Number 1, April 2012, pp. 55-78.
- "Why Hume Cannot Be a Realist”. Journal of Scottish Philosophy Vol. 10, Number 2 (2012), pp. 143–161.
- "Hume's Scepticism and Realism". British Journal for the History of Philosophy Vol. 20, Number 12, March 2012, pp. 283-309.
- "Hume on the Distinction between Primary and Secondary Qualities". Vanishing Matter and the Laws of Nature: Descartes and Beyond (Routledge: 2011), pp. 235-59.
- "Hume's Argument for the Ontological Independence of Simple Properties". Metaphysica Vol. 12, Issue 2 (2011), pp. 197-212.
- Dissertation: Hume's Scepticism and Realism
- Trope Nominalism
- Hume's Metaphysics
- Metametaphysics (Ontological Categories, Formal Ontology, Grounding, Fundamentality)
- Social Ontology