To page body
university of tampere: faculty of social sciences: doctoral studies:
Faculty of Social SciencesUniversity of TampereFaculty of Social Sciences

Arrival in Finland: Practical Information

Financial Aid and Scholarships  | Visa, Residence Permit and Work Permit   | Income Requirements   | Studying and Living Expenses | Unipoli Tampere



Finnish universities are publicly financed through the Ministry of Education, but they have autonomy  in their internal affairs. Finnish universities do not collect tuition fees from doctoral students, so the cost of studying is relatively low but on the other hand, the university does not provide scholarships for students. Student Unions charge small membership fees from graduate students. For postgraduate students, membership in the Student Union is optional. 

As of 1 August 2005 the two-tier degree system was adopted in Finland. The Bachelor's degree is taken before the Master's degree, the Bachelor's degree being calculated to take 3 years and the Master's thereafter 2 years.  

The Master’s degree includes advanced studies in the major subject. A large part of advanced studies consists of the research work for the Master’s thesis. The Master’s degree gives eligibility for postgraduate studies.


Financial Aid and Scholarships

In general, it must be stated that it is rather difficult for a foreign student to obtain a scholarship from Finnish sources.


Supervised by the Finnish Parliament, Kela is an independent social security institution with its own administration and finances.

Financial aid for foreign students:

If you are not a Finnish citizen and have come to Finland for study purposes, the general rule is that you cannot get financial aid from Finland.

However, you may qualify for financial aid if

  • you have been granted a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit or an EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU or P-EY).
    • If you are a citizen of another EU or EEA country or of Switzerland, the family member of such a person, or a citizen of a Nordic country, you only have to register your right of residence or present your residence card.
  • if you are living in Finland permanently and
  • you have arrived in Finland for some other reason than to study.
    • Such a reason can for example be employment, family ties or return migration.

Please see the web pages of Kela for more information.

CIMO scholarships 

The Finnish National Agency for Education offers a number of scholarship programmes for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities. The extent of the scholarship programmes varies from three (3) months to an academic year.  

Please see the web pages on CIMO scholarships 

Please see also the web pages of the University of Tampere Doctoral School and the Tampere University Foundation. Search for funding opportunies: Aurora database.


Visa, Residence Permit and Work Permit

There are two types of permit for entry into Finland: the visa and the residence permit. A visa is granted for a stay lasting a maximum of three months. Persons staying for more than three months must obtain a residence permit before arrival in Finland.


Learn more.

Residence permit

If you intend to stay in Finland for longer than 90 days you will need a residence permit.

Learn more.

Work permit

With a student residence permit you will have the right to work if such work is part of a traineeship required for a degree or is on a research paper required for the studies. You may perform other kinds of work for 25 hours a week on average during the academic term. The number of working hours is not restricted on a weekly level, which means that you can work periodically during the academic term according to your situation, so that you work for 25 hours a week on average.

Learn more.

More information on arrival in Finland:

Finnish Immigration Service

Ministry for Foreing Affairs of Finland


Income requirements

The granting of a residence permit requires that the student's income is secure. The objective of the income requirement is that foreigners living in Finland are able to support themselves economically by their own means. When applying for a residence permit, a financial statement showing that the applicant has at least 560 euro for a month or 6720 euro for a year (academic year 2016-2017) at his/ her disposal will be required. Learn more.

 For residence permit the student will need private insurance to cover medical and pharmaceutical expenses. Learn more

Studying and Living Expenses

For postgraduate students, membership of the Student Union is optional. The Student Union membership fee is 49 euro for postgraduate students for academic year 2016-2017. 

The cost of living in Finland is comparable to the rest of Europe on average. For basic monthly expenses (food, rent, transportation), approximately 700 euro is minimum. Depending on one's personal spending habits, a supplement of 100 -300 euro per month should be planned for.

Tampere District Student Housing Foundation (TOAS) organizes inexpensive student housing and accommodation in Tampere.

Books can be borrowed from the Tampere University Library free of charge. The IT services of the University provides students with basic computer and internet services free of charge.

Unipoli Tampere

Unipoli Tampere offers leisure time activities for the international students and staff of the three universities in the Tampere region. Learn more.

Maintained by:
Last update: 20.1.2017 10.08 Muokkaa

University of Tampere
+358 3 355 111

FINEEC Audited HR Excellence in Research

Cooperation and Services
About Us

Research & Study

Career Services
Finnish Social Science Data Archive
Centre for International Education
IT services
Language Centre
Language Services
Registrar's Office
Sports Activities
» more

Teaching schedules
Curricula guides
Student's Desktop

Andor search
Renew your loans
UTA intranet
Office 365 webmail
Uta webmail
Electronic exam service
Examination results