Specific Instructions on the Examination Process of the Doctoral Dissertation
Electronic Dissertation | Procedure Concerning the Doctoral Dissertation | Practical Information Concerning the Dissertation Process
Tampere University Library maintains a publication series of electronic dissertations online. Regulations concerning the recording formats of dissertations and programmes used, as well as information about publication are available here:
Procedure Concerning the Doctoral Dissertation
- The procedure concerning the examination of a doctoral dissertation is:
- Please note! The originality check of the dissertation must be done by using the Turnitin programme before submitting the thesis for examination. Instructions.
- The manuscript for the dissertation is handed in for a preliminary examination to the School Office in three (3) complete paper copies, filed or bound. In addition a covering letter, with the following information: the student's contact information, e-mail address, the name of the supervisor. If the dissertation is composed of separate articles, of which some have been written in cooperation with another person, each dissertation folder must have a declaration signed by the student explaining his/her share of work in the joint article(s). When submitting the manuscript, the student has to present an accepted study plan and a transcript of study register, which includes all the postgraduate studies pursued and an overall grade given by the office of the major subject or a copy of a certificate concerning Licentiate’s degree.
- The Dean appoints at least two preliminary examiners for the examination of the manuscript. Before the selection of the preliminary examiners, the author of the dissertation is given an opportunity to comment on the potential unacceptability of the prospective preliminary examiners.
- Preliminary examiners are requested to give a statement on whether the manuscript has such scientific value that a permission to publish it may be granted by the Board. The copies of the statements will be sent to the student by e-mail as soon as they arrive at the School Office. Before the decision of the Board, the author of the dissertation is given an opportunity to comment on the statements made by the preliminary examiners. To write the comment the author of the dissertation may ask that the matter will be forwarded to the Board’s next meeting.
- The statements must be delivered to the School Office 14 days before the meeting of the Board at the latest so that the Postgraduate Committee will have time to consider the matter before the Board meeting. The Postgraduate Committee has a meeting always before the Board meeting.
- The Board appoints a Custos (chairman) and at least one opponent for the public debate on the dissertation. In addition, an evaluation board is nominated. Before the appointments, the author of the dissertation is given an opportunity to comment on the potential unacceptability of the prospective opponent/s and evaluation board members.
- The Dean of the School determines the date of the debate. The doctoral candidate contacts the Custos and the opponent(s) to conclude about the date of examination, and takes care of the reservation of the lecture hall, and if considered necessary, another smaller room in the vicinity, for the custos, opponent and the doctoral candidate to get ready for the occasion. (Hall and room reservations: tilavaraukset (at) uta.fi) . After this and in good time before the intended public examination of the dissertation the student informs the School Office of the final title of the dissertation (which might have been slightly specified during the examination process) and of the date and place of the examination. The time and place of the public examination are decided by an official Dean's decision. The School Office sends the opponent an official invitation, with practical advice on travel arrangements and hotel reservation.
- At least 14 days before the public examination of the doctoral dissertation, the author of the dissertation will submit copies of the dissertation as follows:
-Electronic dissertation: 12 paper copies, filed or bound or
-Printed dissertation: 10/12 publications (Please see the practical information).
- The School Office is responsible for distributing the copies of the dissertation (10). The student will receive a list of names to whom the School Office has sent the dissertation. The list is sent to the author by email before distributing.
- For the purpose of informing the media, the author of the dissertation will fill in a form titled Announcement of the public defence of the dissertation. This must be done at least 14 days before the public defence, and according to the instructions of the Tampere University Library. The form is available at the following address: http://libguides.uta.fi/publishdissertation
- The public examination of the doctoral dissertation.
- The Management Board grades the dissertation on the basis of the statements of the opponent(s) and the evaluation board. Before the decision on the grade is made, the author of the dissertation is given an opportunity to comment on the statement of the opponent(s). To write the comment the author of the dissertation may ask that the matter will be forwarded to the Mangement Board’s next meeting. The statements must be delivered to the School Office 14 days before the meeting of the Management Board at the latest so that the Postgraduate Committee will have time to consider the matter before the Management Board meeting. The Postgraduate Committee has a meeting always before the Mangement Board meeting. The author of the dissertation may ask the Mangement Board for an amendment of its decision on the assessment of the dissertation.
- A specific application form is used to apply for the certificate of a Doctoral degree. It can be obtained here. The certificate is granted by the Dean's decision. Enquiries concerning the application for the certificate: the School Office.
Practical information concerning the dissertation process
Please find here: Practical information concerning the dissertation process (pdf). Please note! The originality check of the dissertation must be done by using the Turnitin programme before submitting the thesis for examination. Instructions.