Professor, Research director (1.8.18 - 31.7.19)
Academic Director of Master's Programme in Peace, Mediation and Conflict Research (PEACE)
Visiting address: Linna 6066
- Peace mediation, peace-building and ontological security
- Nationalism, minorities and peacemaking
- Civilizational identities, legitimation and global order
- The history of peace thinking
- The history of international order
- The Balkans, Baltic Sea Area, the West, Transatlantic Relations
- Between official and unofficial: the role of non-state actors in peace mediation and emergence of new dialogic approach. Funded by the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In cooperation with CMI, Felm and FCA, funding period 1.8.2016 - 30.4.2017
- Peace Mediation in Nordic Countries. A Comparative Study, Funding: Finland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2013.14
- Conflict Mediation. M. Lehti, project leader. Funding: Finland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2010.
- Towards Post-Western Europe: Challenges From Southeastern Margin. Funding by Academy of Finland, 2009-13
Articles and Chapters (selected):
- “Monet historiat ja rauhanvälitys”/"Multiple Histories and Peace Mediation", in A. Bläfied (ed.), Historian käyttö ja väärinkäyttö/The Use and abuse of hsitory Helsinki: Siltala 2016, pp. 233-260/234-263 (available in both Finnish and English).
- “Rethinking Identities and Dialogue in Conflict Transformation”, in Samuel Goda, Maksym Khylko and Oleksandr Tytarchuk (eds.), International Crisis Management: NATO, EU, OSCE and Civil Society. Collected Essays on Best Practices and Lessons Learned, Amsterdam, Berlin, Washington, DC: IOS Press 2016, pp. 24-37.
- “The Quest for Solidarity and Tamed Nationalism: Envisioning Sustainable Peace in the Balkans”, Peace & Change. A Journal of Peace Research 39(1), 2014: 101-132.
- “Mediating Asymmetric Conflicts: A Survey on Nordic Studies on Peacemaking” (together with Jenny Saarinen), in Nordic Approaches to Peace Mediation. Research, Practices and Policies, M. Lehti (ed.), TAPRI Studies in Peace and Conflict research No. 101. Tampere: Tampere Peace Research Institute 2014, 11-90.
Recent presentations (selected):
- Keynote: The End of Liberal Internationalism and the Revival of the Anti-Liberal West: a new struggle within the West and its implications to the rest. The West: Concept, Narrative, and Politics - conferece 09.12.2016. University of Jyväskylä,
- From Antagonism to Agonistic Peace: Rethinking Identities and Dialogic Transformation. ISA's 57th Annual Convention, March 16th - 19th, 2016, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Keynote presentation: The role of conflict prevention and conflict transformation in development policies, at Development assistance for conflict prevention and conflict transformation in the European Neighborhood seminar organized by European Network of Political Foundations, Kalevi Sorsa Foundation and Visio, 11.3.2016
- Living on the Civilizational Border: National Self-esteem and Ontological Security – Baltic experiences Where is the border of the West? International conference in the framework of II Festival of Commonwealth Culture Przemyśl, Poland – Lwów, Ukraine, 2-4 October 2015
- Rethinking identities and dialogue in conflict transformation. 9th EuPRA Conference 2-4.9.2015, Tromso, Norway
- Rethinking Conflict Transformation and the Role of the Third Party, Best Practices and Lessons Learned in Conflict Management: NATO, OSCE, EU and Civil Society. Bratislava, Slovakia, June 9-10, 2015
Full list of projects, presentations and publications
Visiting address: Linna building, 6th floor
Postal address: TAPRI, School of Social Sciences and Humanities
FI-33014 University of Tampere, Finland
tel. +358 (0)3 355 111