Adjunct professor (International Relations, University of Tampere, School of Management)
University researcher (retired beg. 1 June, 2017; specific teaching tasks continue during 2017-18)
- European policies and transition conflicts in the areas of the former Soviet Union
- Russian policies of conflict settlement and resolution
- Transition discourses in Finnish-Russian relations
- Qualitative research in International Relations and Peace and Conflict Research
- Scandinavian Peace Research tradition
- theory, approaches and disciplinary history of International Relations
Research projects at TAPRI:
- Monograph publication ‘Unionin ajan idänpolitiikka’ (Edita, Kleio 2007) was awarded the UKK Prize 2008 (the award bears the name of the late Urho Kaleva Kekkonen, former President of Finland).
- Awarded an honorary doctorate by the Petrozavodsk State University (Protocol of the Council of Teachers of the Petrozavodsk State University 25 February 2005).
- Doctoral thesis ‘Barefoot Research and Tribune of Reason: An Analysis of the Textual Corpus of Peace Research in Scandinavia, 1959-86’ was awarded doctoral dissertation prize by the University of Tampere in 1990.
Publications (selected and recent):
- The Depth of Borders beyond the State: Analytical, Normative and Epistemic Challenges of Study, pages 175-193 in in Cengiz Günay & Nina Witjes (eds), Border Politics: Defining Spaces of Governance and Forms of Transgressions. Springer 2017,
(with Vadim Romashov), Russia’s Karabakh Policy: New Momentum in Regional Perspective, Caucasus Survey (Routledge). Freely downloadable
until the end of 2016 at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23761199.2016.1231491
- Editor of The Regional Security Puzzle around Afghanistan, Bordering Practices in Central Asia and Beyond (Opladen & Toronto: Barbara Budrich Publishers, May 2016, 340 pages, www.shop.budrich-academic.de. Includes contributions by Jeremy Smith, Steven Parham, Simbal Khan, Slavomír Horák, Jan Šír, Furugzod Usmonov, Vadim Romashov, Tahir Amin, Mika Aaltola, Juha Käpylä, Dmitry Malyshev, Elnara Bainazarova, Renée Marlin-Bennett, and Helena Rytövuori-Apunen. ISBN 978-3-8474-0789-8, eBook: 978-3-8474-0912-0. Includes the following contributions by Helena Rytövuori-Apunen: Introduction: Bordering Practices Challenging State Borders (pp. 1-28); Tajikistan’s Unsettled Security: Borderland Dynamics of the Outpost on Russia’s Afghan Frontier (with Furugzod Usmonov, pp. 131-159); Limits of Force-based Strategies and Institution-Building: a Focus on Border Spaces in the Security Puzzle (with Simbal Khan, pp. 271-283); Epilogue: Charting Border Studies Beyond North American Grounds (with Renée Marlin-Bennett, pp. 285-296).
- “Post-positivism” and the real “orthodoxy”, International Studies Quarterly online Symposium (March 2014) The “Third Debate” 25 Years Later, editor Patrick T. Jackson.
- Catching a formative moment: Epistemic unity in the European plurality, European Review of International Studies (ERIS), Vol. 1, Issue 1/2014, pp. 103-110.
- Disputed Frontiers: Abkhazia in Russia's Sochi 2014 Project, in Bo Petersson & Karina Vamling (eds), The Sochi Predicament: Contexts, Characteristics and Challenges of the Olympic Winter Games in 2014. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishers, 2013 (pp. 229-249).
- Chapters on Moldova and Tajikistan in Russia, land of change (section on Potential crisis factors in relations between Russia and the CIS countries), Ministry of Defence of Finland, 2012 (Finnish and English versions available at: www.defmin.fi).
Full list of publications
Visiting address: Linna building, 6th floor
Postal address: TAPRI, School of Social Sciences and Humanities
FI-33014 University of Tampere, Finland
tel. +358 (0)3 355 111