Pinni B-building, auditorium 1096 (Address: Kanslerinrinne 1)
14th Anniversary Seminar of the Institute for Advanced Social Research (IASR)
- 14:15 Opening Words and an Annual Report, Professor Risto Heiskala, Director of the IASR
- 14:30 Greetings from the University of Tampere, Professor Seppo Parkkila, Vice Rector for Research
- 14:45 Neoliberalism and Populism, 7x7x7 Panel, Chair: Risto Heiskala, Seven of our Fellows address the topic from the perspective of seven different political cultures in talks of seven minutes and answer these two questions:
- Should the rise of populism be understood as a misplaced revenge of the masses for more than 30 years of neoliberalism?
- What will happen next?
- The panelists:
- The UK: Louise Settle
- The US: Meyda Yegenouglu
- Australia: Zsuzsanna Millei
- Russia: Marianna Muravyeva
- Turkey: Mahmut Mutman
- Hungary: Robert Imre
- Finland: Jorma Sipilä
For references, please see Perry Anderson’s column "Why the system will still win" in LE MONDE Diplomatique.
Ticker introductions include the following two:
- On neoliberalism: Michel Foucault: The Birth of Biopolitics. Lectures at the Collége de France, 1978–79. Palgrave, 2008;
- On populism: Jan-Werner Müller: What is Populism? University of Pennsylvania Press, 2016.
For more information, please contact:
Director Risto Heiskala
040 741 7518