User accounts and passwords
Please log in the University’s electronic services with your basic user account (BUA) and the related password. The format of your basic user account is e.g. ab12345
You need to attach an ending to your BUA when logging in some of the University’s electronic services (also HAKA logging):
- email@example.com (e.g. the wireless network Eduroam)
- ab12345@edu (student registering his/her card with the printing service, or printing with BUA)
- ab12345@staff (staff registering his/her card with the printing service, or printing with BUA)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Office365/students) or
- email@example.com (Office365/staff).
NB! In spite of the different versions of the basic user account, please use the same password to log in all of these services.
The basic user account is created automatically for students, employees and those comparable to employees when certain requirements are met. If you already have a basic user account, no new BUA can be created for you.
- For a student, a BUA will be created the night following their enrolment for the semester.
- For employees and those comparable to employees, the right to use certain electronic services in the staff domain is automatically created with the creation of the BUA (e.g. logging in to your computer and email). More information of employees’ user rights is available at Intranet.
- For cooperation partners , a BUA can be applied by the faculty or unit of cooperation. Please contact the HR services of the faculty or unit for more information.
Starting to use your BUA
Please start using your BUA by setting a password with your personal e-banking ID from a Finnish bank at
You will find your BUA at the service.
You can also get your BUA and password from the IT Helpdesk; just remember to bring your official identity card or passport with you.
NB! You can see your email address in the NettiKatti service.
- The students’ email service is Office365/students
- The employees’, and those comparable to employees, email service is Office365/staff
- Other cooperation partners use the Utaposti webmail service (please log in with your basic user account and password)
Changing your password
In order to change the password related to your basic user account, please visit the
or use your electronic banking ID at
You can also change your password at the IT Helpdesk; just remember to bring your official identity card or passport with you.
Please change your password:
- often enough in order to ensure your own computer safety, e.g. every six months
- every time you suspect an outsider may have had access to your BUA and password
NB! The IT Helpdesk may change the password for you if you are unable to do it yourself.
You can visit the NettiKatti service in order check your basic user account and the user rights related to it.
IT administration may block the use of a basic user account in order to protect the user if it is suspected that the BUA and password have leaked to an outsider. In such cases, please change your password to activate your BUA.
As a degree student, your basic user account will remain valid from one academic year to the next if you have a study right and enrol as present for the semester before your BUA expires.
Please note that the enrolment time for the autumn semester already ends at the end of August!
During absences, the BUA remains valid with restricted rights. For example, it is not possible to sign up for exams or courses during an absence. However, the other services are still available to you.
Employees and persons comparable to employees have a valid BUA until the end of the employment contract or the resource agreement. More information on the employees’ user rights is available in the intranet.
Other cooperation partners may have a BUA that is valid for the fixed term of one year. Please contact the HR services at your faculty/unit in order to extend the validity of your BUA.
When a BUA expires
When a BUA expires, the email address related to the address also expires. It is not possible to set a forwarding address or an automatic reply from an expired email address.
NB! The contents of the home directory related to the email account will also be destroyed so please make sure to make copies of the materials you may still need.
More information on the user accounts is available in the intranet.