How to Apply
The student exchange application process has two phases. First, the students are selected and nominated by UTA. Second, the students apply to the host universities. The final decision on the approval is always made by the host university.
Please read the information on the application process carefully. Link to the application form is available below.
More information on destinations open for applications is available at Mobility-Online portal. Select a degree programme from "Study field" and the right "Academic year". The search results show all those host universities where you can apply via the chosen degree programme.
"Display details" shows additional information concerning the host university, the language requirements, study options, etc. Here is a picture of the info icon:
You can access the application form with youe TUNI username and password. Please fill in the application form carefully. Your personal information comes to the application form automatically from the student register. If you need to update your information, for example your address, make the necessary changes in NettiOpsu and notify your mobility coordinator. This information will not be updated to the application form automatically.
You can apply for up to three destinations. One destination means one university or network (BCI, ISEP, north2north, Nordplus and Nordlys). If you apply for a university belonging to a Network, first select the name of the network and then 'Other' for the name of the country. Please draw up a motivation letter and a study plan for each university you are applying for within the network. Place the motivation letters and the study plans in the relevant field in order of preference.
PLEASE NOTE! You are able to fill in one application form per application period!
After you have filled in the application form, you will receive a link to your email address. Log in to Mobility-Online and fill in the necessary information. In case you do not receive the e-mail message concerning registration, please check your spam filter.
Your Mobility-Online account has "Necessary steps" which you need to complete before the application is complete:
Prepare the necessary enclosures and upload them to your Mobility-Online account. You will need:
- a motivation letter and preliminary study plan (pdf)
- transcript of records (pdf, the unofficial transcript from NettiOpsu is ok)
- passport size photo (jpg)
Write a separate motivation letter and preliminary study plan for each host university. If you are sending your application to a network, write a motivation letter separately for each university you are applying to.
The motivation letter and study plan must be written in the language in which the studies will be organised in the country of destination. Among other things, list the following in your motivation letter.
- How the exchange period will benefit your studies at the University of Tampere.
- How the exchange will benefit your career plans.
- Why you are applying to the destination in question at this specific phase of your studies.
- Mention any factors that you think support your admission, including prior work experience, any possible volunteer work and positions of trust.
If you are studying in a separate two-year Master’s programme, also following attachments must be submitted:
- A recommendation letter from the supervisor of your Master's thesis.
- Copies of the degree certificates or transcripts of records from your previous studies.
The enclosures must be uploaded to Mobility-Online during the application period. Without the enclosures your application is incomplete and it will not be processed.
After you have uploaded all necessary enclosures, you need to submit the application:
After your application is complete, you will be on this step:
You can now log out from the account. Your application is now finished and it will move on to the University of Tampere for processing.
There are two primary application rounds for student exchange and Erasmus+ work placement grants each academic year. In addition, there are two application rounds for remaining exchange places.
Application rounds for 2019–2020 exchanges
- Application round I: 9–29 October 2018. Exchange destinations in America, Hong Kong and Japan, ISEP and north2north exchange programmes and Erasmus+ work placement grants (for work placements during spring and summer 2019)
- Application round II: 7–31 January 2018. Europe, Asia and Africa and Erasmus+ work placement grants (for work placements during spring and summer 2019)
- Additional application round I: 11–29 March 2019 remaining exchange places and Erasmus+ work placement grants (for work placements during autumn 2019)
The application rounds for Erasmus+ Work Placement grants are usually the same as the exchange application rounds. For more information, please see Erasmus+ Work Placement.
Info events in the 2018–2019 academic year (in Finnish)
- October: Exchange info 9 October 2 pm–5 pm (Virta, lecture room 109)
Erasmus+ Work Placement info 9 October 10 am–12 noon (main building, lecture roon A4) in English! (see the powerpoint)
- January: Erasmus+ exchange info 9 January 2 pm–4 pm and Exchange info (other exchange destinations) 10 January 12 noon–4:30 pm
- March: Centre for International Education stand 12 March 11 am–3 pm; Main building, Alakuppila café lobby