Overall, I believe this was a great experience that will most likely carry over to working life; it teaches you time management, coordination and communication skills. (International tutor 2015)
Become an international tutor and learn about the daily life of foreign students in Tampere!
The tutors of international students help foreign students coming to the University of Tampere to integrate themselves into the local study environment and student life and adapt to the day-to-day routines.
The peak season for international tutoring is at the end of August and the beginning of September. This is the time when tutors are needed the most. Those who are willing can continue their work and also tutor the new exchange students arriving in early January. The university’s Centre for International Education and Tamy organise two afternoon training events for international tutors before the beginning of the academic year. No training will be arranged during the academic year. The persons responsible for international tutoring will post information on the training events on the student associations’ mailing lists and the international tutor list maintained by Tamy.
How do I get involved?
Read more about the recruitment of international tutors on the Tamy website.
Training for the international organisers and tutors of student associations
Various university bodies organise training for international tutors. The training is developed based on feedback from the tutors in the form of immediate feedback after training, reports written by the international tutors and a tutor feedback survey at the end of the year. A report is compiled based on the survey, which is reviewed by the working group for the development of peer instruction and the study services networks. The report is available to everyone on the university’s tutoring pages (link) ?.
The training events consider the roles of international tutors and distribute practical information to support acting as an international tutor. Some student associations also arrange their own training for international tutors.
The next training event for international tutoring organisers and tutors selected for 2018 will be held in the spring of 2018.
Information on international tutoring/for international tutors
See also the tutor info for incoming international students (At the University –> Student Tutors)
Reporting on international tutoring
The reporting period for the 2017 spring semester took place between May and June 2017. (More information is available during the reporting period.)
Fill in the feedback form and return the international tutoring report (two A4 pages) to the Centre for International Education (intoffice at uta.fi) and your faculty, pdf. The reporting period is usually one month from the end of the semester. After this, you will receive up to two credits from your faculty. The credits can be granted once only. The Centre for International Education provides a compensation and certificate for each semester during which you have served as an international tutor. Instructions on how to receive the compensation will be e-mailed to you after the reporting period.
You can request the international tutoring certificate in Finnish or English from the Centre for International Education (intoffice at uta.fi).
In the international tutoring report, you can consider the following, for example:
- How was the international tutoring experience for you?
- How did you plan and prepare for the international tutoring?
- Were the training events useful to you? How? If they were not, why?
- Did you cooperate with your faculty and degree programme? What sort of things did you handle together?
- Did you cooperate with your own student association? What sort of things did you handle together?
- What kind of feedback did your receive for the tutoring? Development suggestions?
- Do you find international tutoring to be a valuable experience from the perspective of working life?
- Was the international tutor’s guide useful? What topics specifically? Development suggestions?
- What were the most common problems you faced in international tutoring?
- Do you find that you achieved some of the learning outcomes listed under the Internationalisation Module?
Remember to list your name, student number, the number of tutored students and how long you served as an international tutor at the beginning of the report.
- Your student association’s international tutoring organiser
- Tamy’s international specialist, e-mail: international (at) tamy.fi. More information on international tutoring can also be found on the Tamy page on international tutoring.
- Contact person for international tutoring at the University of Tampere: Noora Maja, Coordinator of International Education, e-mail: firstname.lastname(at)uta.fi
We have created a Facebook group for exchange students at the University of Tampere. The group is called UTA Incoming Exchange Students. Join the group and get to know the incoming exchange students before the beginning of the semester!