Become an international student tutor and learn about the daily life of international students in Tampere!
International student tutors will help international students coming to Tampere University (City centre and Kauppi campus) to integrate themselves into the local study environment and student life and adapt to the day-to-day routines.
The peak season for international tutoring is early-August to early-September. This is the time when international student tutors are needed the most. Those who are willing can continue their work and also tutor the new exchange students arriving in early-January as well. The university’s International Mobility Services and TREY organise two compulsory afternoon training events for international tutors before the beginning of the academic year and one more additional training in November-December. The persons responsible for international tutoring will post information on the training events on the student associations’ mailing lists and the international tutor list maintained by TREY.
See also the tutor info for incoming international students (Once you are in Tampere -> International Student Tutors)
How do I get involved?
International student tutors are recruited annually in January-February. Register first with the international tutoring organiser of your student association. If you would like to get involved in international tutoring at a later time, please contact us and we will add your information to the standby / backup tutor list and tell you more about the activities.
Read more about the recruitment of international tutors on the TREY's website.
Training for the international organisers and tutors of student associations
International tutoring requires mental preparation and plenty of practical effort. The organisation of concrete activities plays a significant role in the daily life and schedule of an international tutor. The various goals of international tutoring must be taken into account in arranging the activities. The most important thing is not quantity but quality, which requires creative and flexible solutions and plenty of financial resources.
Various university bodies organise training for international tutors. Two compulsory trainings are developed based on feedback from the tutors in the form of immediate feedback after training, reports written by the international tutors and a tutor feedback survey at the end of the year. A report is compiled based on the survey, which is reviewed by the working group for the development of peer instruction and the study services networks.
In the training events we distribute practical information to support acting as an international tutor. Some student associations also arrange their own training for international tutors. All trainings are held in English language and our current international degree students are encouraged to take part!
Next training events for international tutoring organisers and international student tutors selected for academic year 2019-20. All trainings are held in English.
International tutoring organisers' meeting and training 19.2.2019, 16-18 (City centre campus, Pinni B1029) International tutoring organisers' meeting and coffee 13.3.2019, 16-18 (City centre campus, Pinni B1029) International student tutors, 1st training, 10.4.2019, 16:00-18:30 (City centre campus, lecture hall D11). International tutoring organisers' sauna event 11.4.2019, Iidesranta Hangout for international tutors and interested people, 16.5.
- International student tutors, 2nd training 5.8.2019, 15:00-17:30 (City centre campus, lecture hall D11) - sign up now! Preliminary programme:
- 15:00 – 15:30 International tutor’s tasks and current issues (TREY)
- 15:30 – 16:00 International students, Welcome Week and tutoring (International Mobility Services)
- 16:00 – 16:20 Coffee break
- 16:20 – 16:45 Living with TOAS
- 16:45 – 16:55 Opiskelijan Tampere Association
- 16:55 – 17:20 ESN FINT: starting kits and international activities
- 17:15 – 17:30 Q&A
- International student tutors, 3rd training, December 2019 (tentative)
Reporting on international tutoring
The reporting period for the spring semester 2019 was 16.4.–20.5.2019. Instructions on how to receive the compensation will be emailed to you after the reporting period and the compensation will be paid during summer months.
Given instructions: Fill in the feedback form and return the international tutoring report (two A4 pages) to the International Mobility Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to your faculty, pdf (spring semester 2019). After this, you will receive up to two credits from your faculty. The credits can be granted once only. The International Mobility Services provides a compensation and certificate for each semester during which you have served as an international student tutor.
You can request the international tutoring certificate in Finnish or English from the International Mobility Services (email@example.com).
In the international tutoring report, you can consider the following, for example:
- How was the international tutoring experience for you?
- How did you plan and prepare for the international tutoring?
- Were the training events useful to you? How? If they were not, why?
- Did you cooperate with your faculty and degree programme? What sort of things did you handle together?
- Did you cooperate with your own student association? What sort of things did you handle together?
- What kind of feedback did your receive for the tutoring? Development suggestions?
- Do you find international tutoring to be a valuable experience from the perspective of working life?
- Was the international tutor’s guide useful? What topics specifically? Development suggestions?
- What were the most common problems you faced in international tutoring?
- Do you find that you achieved some of the learning outcomes listed under the Internationalisation Module?
Remember to list your name, student number, the number of tutored students and how long you served as an international tutor at the beginning of the report.
- Your student association’s international tutoring organiser. More information on international student tutoring can also be found on the TREY's page on international tutoring
- Responsible person for international tutoring at Tampere University (City centre & Kauppi campuses): Igor Tanskanen
- International Mobility Services, general enquiries and adding yourself to the standby / backup tutor list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visiting address: City centre campus, main building, room A129
- TREY’s tutoring specialist: Mikko Salminen, Mikko.Salminen@trey.fi
- TREY's International Affairs, Tutoring and Development cooperation: Max Liikka, Max.Liikka@trey.fi
Check out the Facebook group for incoming exchange students at Tampere University (city centre & Kauppi campuses). Join the group and get to know the exchange students before the beginning of the semester!