Become an international tutor and learn about the daily life of international students in Tampere!
International tutors will help international students coming to the University of Tampere to integrate themselves into the local study environment and student life and adapt to the day-to-day routines.
The peak season for international tutoring is at the end of August and the beginning of September. This is the time when tutors are needed the most. Those who are willing can continue their work and also tutor the new exchange students arriving in early January. The university’s Centre for International Education and Tamy organise two afternoon training events for international tutors before the beginning of the academic year. Usually no trainings are arranged during the academic year. The persons responsible for international tutoring will post information on the training events on the student associations’ mailing lists and the international tutor list maintained by Tamy.
See also the tutor info for incoming international students (How To Get Started -> Student Tutors)
How do I get involved?
Read more about the recruitment of international tutors on the Tamy website.
Training for the international organisers and tutors of student associations
International tutoring requires mental preparation and plenty of practical effort. The organisation of concrete activities plays a significant role in the daily life and schedule of an international tutor. The various goals of international tutoring must be taken into account in arranging the activities. The most important thing is not quantity but quality, which requires creative and flexible solutions and plenty of financial resources.
Various university bodies organise training for international tutors. The training is developed based on feedback from the tutors in the form of immediate feedback after training, reports written by the international tutors and a tutor feedback survey at the end of the year. A report is compiled based on the survey, which is reviewed by the working group for the development of peer instruction and the study services networks.
In the training events we distribute practical information to support acting as an international tutor. Some student associations also arrange their own training for international tutors.
The next training events for international tutoring organisers and tutors selected for 2019-20 will be held in the spring and summer of 2019. The schedule will be published in late autumn 2018. All trainings are held in English.
International tutoring organisers on 21 Feb at 16-18. Training for international tutors on 18 April at 15-19. Training for international tutors on 13 August at 14-16.
Upcoming addtional traning session for new international tutors:
- Training for new international tutors (spring 2019) on 3 December 2018, time and place will be announced later
- The length of the training session: 1,5 h
Next training sessions in 2019:
- Will be published in late autumn 2018.
Presentations from the training of international tutors (August 2018):
Presentations from the training of international tutors (April 2018):
Presentations from the training of international tutoring organisers (February 2018):
Reporting on international tutoring
International tutors write a report on their activities and respond to a feedback survey, based on which they will receive two ECTS credits and a compensation for expenses. The reporting period for the 2018 autumn semester is 19 October to 18 November 2018. The reporting period for the 2019 spring semester will be in May-June 2019 (preliminary information).
Instructions: Fill in the feedback form and return the international tutoring report (two A4 pages) to the Centre for International Education (intoffice at uta.fi) and your faculty, pdf (2018-19). The reporting period ends on 18 November 2018. After this, you will receive up to two credits from your faculty. The credits can be granted once only. The Centre for International Education provides a compensation and certificate for each semester during which you have served as an international tutor. Instructions on how to receive the compensation will be emailed to you after the reporting period. The compensation will be paid to the Finnish bank account on 14 December 2018.
You can request the international tutoring certificate in Finnish or English from the Centre for International Education (intoffice at uta.fi).
In the international tutoring report, you can consider the following, for example:
- How was the international tutoring experience for you?
- How did you plan and prepare for the international tutoring?
- Were the training events useful to you? How? If they were not, why?
- Did you cooperate with your faculty and degree programme? What sort of things did you handle together?
- Did you cooperate with your own student association? What sort of things did you handle together?
- What kind of feedback did your receive for the tutoring? Development suggestions?
- Do you find international tutoring to be a valuable experience from the perspective of working life?
- Was the international tutor’s guide useful? What topics specifically? Development suggestions?
- What were the most common problems you faced in international tutoring?
- Do you find that you achieved some of the learning outcomes listed under the Internationalisation Module?
Remember to list your name, student number, the number of tutored students and how long you served as an international tutor at the beginning of the report.
- Your student association’s international tutoring organiser
- Center for International Education, general enquiries and adding yourself to the standby tutor list: intoffice (at) uta.fi
- Tamy’s international specialist, email: international (at) tamy.fi. More information on international tutoring can also be found on the Tamy's page on international tutoring.
- Responsible person for international tutoring at the University of Tampere: Igor Tanskanen, Coordinator of International Education
Check out the Facebook group for incoming exchange students at the University of Tampere. Join the group and get to know the exchange students before the beginning of the semester!