Going Abroad Independently
Did you not find what you were looking for? This page lists other options for studying or completing a work placement abroad.
Various organisations offer internship and grant programmes for which you can apply independently. Remember to check the application periods and possible tuition fees carefully.
Begin your preparations at least one year before the desired period abroad. For more information, please contact the organisation in question directly.
Obtaining a Study or a Work Placement Independently
Information on studies and work placements in international organisations can be found e.g. on the Maailmalle website maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education (OPH) (Finnish and Swedish).
- Grants managed by OPH for university-level studies abroad
- Country-specific grants: grants for postgraduate studies and research, language and summer course grants
- College of Europe programme: Master of European Studies programme
- Nordkurs summer course scholarships: summer courses of language and culture at Nordic universities
- DAAD grants: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) provides exchange positions for students, teachers and researchers. Summer course grants are also available for application.
- British Council’s Funding Your Studies pages
- Fulbright scholarships to the United States: grants for undergraduate studies, postgraduate studies and research, and increasing one’s expertise and professional skill.
- EU Research and Innovation website: information on European research and grant programmes, e.g. the Marie Curie grant programme
- OPH’s internship programmes: country programmes, IAESTE for the field of technology, Finnish organisations abroad
- NORDJOBB: Nordic internship programme to improve labour mobility and increase knowledge and awareness of Nordic languages and cultures in the North.
Internship Programmes of Student Organisations
- AIESEC: independent international student organisation operating in more than 100 countries
- FiMSIC: Finnish Medical Students’ International Committee takes care of the international relations of medical students
- ELSA: The European Law Students’ Association is the world’s largest international organisation for students of law and young lawyers
- OPH’s Maatieto website (Finnish, Swedish): country-specific guides.
- Representation of foreign states in Finland: the embassy sites can provide information on studies abroad and grants.
- Grant database of the National Union of University Students in Finland (SYL): grants and scholarships awarded to students.
- European Commission Study in Europe website: information on studying in European countries.
- Link page on the recruitment pages of international organisations maintained by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
- Check whether or not you are required to have an English language certificate. Language tests are held by IELTS and TOEFL.
You can apply for a travel grant from the University of Tampere for an independently arranged work placement period lasting longer than three months. The university does not provide grants for independently arranged study placements. More information: Head of Financial Aid Office Eini Mäkelä.
Student financial aid can be granted for higher education studies abroad (more information from Kela). Supplementary funding can be obtained from a variety of foundations and associations – for example, see the SYL grant database.
Many universities offer courses in the summer months, usually for a separate fee. Some of the summer programmes offered UTA partner universities are listed below. Please see Summer Schools in Europe for more options.
|Country||Organising University||Summer Programme||Dates|
|Austria||University of Vienna||univie: summer school – European and International Studies 2018||14 July - 11 August|
|Belgium||University of Antwerp||Antwerp Summer University||several dates|
|China||London School of Economics, Peking University||Summer School Beijing, China||6 - 17 August|
|Czech Republic||Charles University||Summer University Prague 2018: Project Europe at a Crossroads||8 - 22 September|
|Czech Republic||Charles University||Prague Summer School of Journalism 2018||1 - 15 September|
|Czech Republic||Charles University and other European universities||18 - 29 June|
|Estonia||University of Tartu||Estonian Summer Courses (Estonian language and culture)||23 July - 3 August|
|France||Sorbonne Nouvelle University||Theater Summer School 2018 at Sorbonne Nouvelle||2 - 20 July|
|France||University of Angers||International Summer Schools at University of Angers||June - July|
|Germany||University of Duisburg-Essen||Global and Transnational Sociology Summer School||11 June – 6 July|
|The European System of Human Rights Protection||9 - 20 July|
University of Bayreuth
|Bayreuth International Summer School in Bavaria||1 - 14 July|
|Germany||University of Münster||WWU Summer School: European Campus of Intercultural Perspectives||27 - 31 August|
|Transsectoral PeaceLab. Hybrid Solutions to Hybrid Conflicts? Academia, Civil Society and the Arts||20 August – 2 September|
|Greece||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki / Black Sea University Network (BSUN)||Summer School on “Innovative Concepts for the Sustainable Development of the Black Sea Region”||20 - 27 June|
|Greece||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki||International Summer School of Medical Law and Bioethics on “Assisted Reproduction and Alternative Family Forms”||5 - 11 July|
|Summer School of Greek Language, History and Culture (Corfu Summer School)||7 - 22 July|
|Greece||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki||Recent developments on financial crime, corruption and money laundering: European and international perspectives||4 - 12 July|
|Israel||Galilee International Management Institute||
18 - 30 July
|Italy||LUISS University||LUISS International Summer Programs 2018||June-July|
|Italy||University of Urbino||Summer Course on Italian Language and Culture||9-13 July|
University of Genova
|International Summer School on Deep Learning||23 - 27 July|
|Italy||University of Bologna||Utrecht Network WE-TELL Summer School on “Innovating Storytelling to Address Civic Awareness in the Post-digital Age"||4 - 15 June|
|Italy/Kazakhstan/India/China||University of Milano-Bicocca||Bicocca Summer School||several dates|
|Ireland||Maynooth University||Field Anthropology/Archaeology Summer School||17 - 30 June|
|Ireland||Maynooth University||Forensic Anthropology/Archaeology March or June Programme ‘Dead Men Do Tell Tales’||10-16 June|
|Ireland||Maynooth University||International Summer School||7 July – 4 August|
|Ireland||Maynooth University||The EU and Human Rights in a Time of Crisis: Balancing Economic Freedoms and Human Rights||23 - 30 June|
Kosovo International Summer Academy
|International Summer Academy (KSA): “Peace building in post-conflict areas – Diplomacy, Leadership and Negotiations||10 - 20 July|
|Latvia||University of Latvia||International Baltic Summer School in Canadian Studies: Rethinking Canada||10 July – 17 July|
|Latvia||University of Latvia||Riga Summer School||5 - 18 August|
|Lithuania||Mykolas Romeris University||Summer School "Science and Art of Communication"||15 - 22 July|
|Lithuania||Vytautas Magnus University||Baltic Summer University||July-August|
|Malta||Several||Off the Beaten Track: Summer School for Anthropologists||several dates|
|Netherlands||Radboud University||Radboud Summer School||5 - 17 August|
|Romania||Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi||Jassy Summer School: A Journey Through Hard Sciences, Economics, Social Sciences and the Tourism Industry||9 - 22 July|
|Russia||Samara Unviersity||High-Technology Management (HTM) Summer School 2018 in Samara University||19 - 29 July and 3 - 13 August|
|Russia||Petrozavodsk State University||Russian Language Programme 2018||several dates|
|Russia||Saint-Petersburg State University of Economics||Baltic Energy in Changing Energy Landscape||15 – 29 August|
|Russia||Saint-Petersburg State University of Economics||Doing Business in Russia||15 – 28 July|
|Slovenia||University of Ljubljana||Global School in Empirical Research Methods – GSERM (for PhD students, postgraduates and researchers)||20 - 31 August|
|South Africa||London School of Economics, University of Cape Town||July School Cape Town, South Africa||25 June - 6 July|
|Spain||University of A Coruña||Universidade da Coruña's International Summer School||30 July - 17 August|
|Switzerland||Hochschule Furtwangen University||White Water Management – Learning Management in a new way||3 - 10 August|
|Switzerland||University of Zurich||'How Switzerland got rich': UZH International Summer School||9 - 20 July|
|Switzerland||Institute for Peace & Dialogue, IPD||Institute for Peace & Dialogue (IPD) Summer Academy||several dates|
|Switzerland||University of Geneva||Université de Genève: French Summer Course||several dates|
|Switzerland||Geneva Business School||Geneva Business School Summer Program||9 - 20 July|
|Turkey||Koç University||International Migration and the Crisis||25 June - 13 July|
|United Kingdom||Nottingham Trent University||Global Summer School||9 July - 3 August|
|United Kingdom||University of Cambridge||University of Cambridge International Summer Programme||several dates|
|Online||DOBA Business School||Virtual Summer School: Creative Cross Cultural Communication||6 - 16 June|