Entrepreneurship in studies
Academic studies provide a good basis for entrepreneurship. Currently, one third of new entrepreneurs have a higher education degree. In the current job market, the overlap of and fluctuation between salaried work, entrepreneurship and other forms of employment is common in specialist work.
At the University of Tampere, you can include entrepreneurship studies in the free-choice studies of your degree. You can take these courses individually or compile a larger module from them. The Strategy, entrepreneurship and business development module (25–55 ECTS) provides capabilities for developing business operations and working as an independent entrepreneur. The studies are aimed at supporting the students’ goals of establishing a business and working in an entrepreneurial capacity.
The themed module is part of the offering of Y-kampus entrepreneurship studies under the Tampere3 cooperation. The Y-kampus courses are provided by the Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Tampere University of Technology and the University of Tampere. Registrations for entrepreneurship studies organised by institutes other than the University of Tampere must be submitted through the Service for Cross-Institutional Studies.
The studies of other degree programmes also include course units related to entrepreneurship. As an example, they can be found in journalism, translation studies, education and the master’s degree programme in organising well-being services. The teaching schedule offering varies each year.
More information is also available on the entrepreneurship website of the national network of academic career services at Entrepreneurship as an option – Aarresaari.net.
Y-kampus, which can be found along the A0 corridor of the main building, provides centralised entrepreneurship and innovation services at the University of Tampere. For more information on Y-kampus activities and events, visit www.y-kampus.fi.
Y-kampus offers entrepreneurship-related events, studies and networking opportunities in the city centre, Kauppi and Hervanta. The city-centre Y-kampus is located in corridor A0 of the main building.
TampereES – Tampere Entrepeneurship Society for higher education students in Tampere is an open, non-profit and student-led entrepreneurship community that organises events for networking with other entrepreneurs and like-minded people. Information on the events can be found on the society’s Facebook page.
Support from regional services
Services available in the Tampere region to support the early phases and various developmental stages of entrepreneurship are listed on the website for regional entrepreneurship services. Direct links to some services are provided below.
- Ensimetri – Guidance service and training for setting up your own business.
- New Factory Startup Program – Business idea development and coaching through a network.
- Finnmedi – services for research institutes, researchers and other parties with a business/product idea in the life science sector.
- Health Hub – Community for actors aiming to promote health and well-being among people.
- Osuustoimintakeskus – Information and guidance on cooperative entrepreneurship.
- Yrityssuomi – Public business services under one address. Information, services and tools for companies and those looking to set up a business.
- Tuoteväylä – Help with developing inventions and innovative ideas into business.
- TAKK Hiomo – Vocational qualification in entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship training that qualifies participants for the Starttiraha start-up grant.
University of Tampere students and alumni as entrepreneurs
The University of Tampere organises surveys for students and alumni to present them with a diverse variety of questions on matters related to studies and employment. Information on responses related to entrepreneurship has been compiled into this Prezi presentation.